Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Ways to Travel Cheaply in the UK


I'm hosting a lot of visitors over the next few months, which I'm super excited about. It also got me thinking about all the ways to travel cost-effectively here in the UK. I've been keeping a list in my phone of all affordable travel tips I've heard since September, starting at our TFG Prep Conference. Here are a few of the ways I've found to stretch your pounds a bit further and see more of the Land of Hope and Glory (aka England). 

Awkward selfie alert. This is my face when I was taking a train selfie to send to someone (OK, it was for Shantonu, let's be real) and then I was literally about to take it when I realized a guy was sitting right in front of me staring at me taking the selfie. Aaaaawkward. 
  • Best pro tip: BUY TICKETS IN PERSON/ON THE PHONE: This has helped me so many times. The people who are employed by the national railway agency (government-run) and not by the specific train companies are required by law to give you the cheapest train tickets for your journey. They are also exceedingly helpful people, in my experience. So I always go to York Train Station in person to get the train tickets that I need.
  • If you are doing it online, start the process by checking ticket prices at Trainline - their app or the website. Then use the other resources to make it cheaper from that baseline cost that you find. 
  • Look at Ticketsplitter.com to split up the legs of your journey - it can be cheaper. 
  • Travel on off times (ask and look for non-peak tickets)
  • Take a bus if possible - it's usually longer but cheaper. 
  • Book tickets as much in advance as possible.
  • If in London, purchase an Oyster card and load it up. 
  • Use your Railcard! You can buy a bunch of different variations of these. I have a 16-25 railcard; you can also get a 26-30 Railcard, a Two-Together Railcard (for a couple or two friends traveling together) or a Seniors Railcard, and a bunch of other options. Check it out here. These Railcards are a fee paid every year or two or three (depending on type, I guess) and they give a 30% discount on every single ticket. It's really great.


Anyone have any other UK-cheap-travel tips? Share in the comments! 


No comments:

Post a Comment